Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stories and Updates from a Cultural REcyclist

Hiya, Happy Wednesday!! 

This following writing was written about 10 days ago, and gives an account of my experiences from that point back to my accident in Bandon, OR and carrying up to a little bit after Thanksgiving. Today, I just came back from beloved  Fairfield, IA and slept most of the day after staying up late last night into the early hours of the morning talking with my good friend Barbara about life, Integral, love, Integral Feminism, cross-country cycling, plans for Cypress Villages, and much more.   :::      

        So I’ve been back in Kansas for 2 weeks and 3 days, after being hit by a drunk driver in Bandon, OR on HWY 101 going south along the Oregon coast, life-flighted to Portland for a tibia repair surgery putting a titanium rod into my leg, re-aligning my tibia bone; healing with my wonderful, generous friend Carla at her awesome home in Portland; meeting up with Newport, OR buddies (fellow mushroom hunters, music makers, and life lovers) and road-tripping with them from Portland to Newport; spending a night, great day, and morning in Newport in a home just off the beach where I could see the ocean from the living room window, open a window and hear and smell the ocean and got to talk with a man who had worked on one of the first CAM (Computer-aided manufacturing) machines in the early 1970’s, was a neighbor to Ken Kesey, and went to a number of his more-organized-than-expected swar˜es;  taking a bus to Coquille and healing at the magical Mountain Homestead cob village for about a week; taking a bus back up to Portland on November 14th for a follow-up appointment at the knowledgeable, friendly Emanuel Legacy Hospital on the 15th; then taking a plane to Las Vegas for a short layover, and on to  Kansas City, MO airport (MCI).

        It has been good times in Kansas, coming in to Overland Park, KS where I was raised (born in Bakersfield, CA) and visiting family, friends, and neighbors for the first time in months. I was gone last Thanksgiving and Christmas, in Japan, looking for English-teaching jobs, and this year I had planned on cycling/working in Oregon or California, and so my family was very happy for my surprise holiday presence this year.

        We had an excellent Thanksgiving- a meal with all the trimmings, from white & dark turkey down to sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. My brother came in town from his Minneapolis, MN college and it was good to see him too.  I ate at the “adult” table this year, due to some planning fluke, and had great conversation with everyone that continued on after dinner with my Uncle’s Gary and Mark about everything from legalization (yep, that kind), to racial issues locally, nationally, and globally, to non-profit organizations. One thing I learned from my Uncle Mark, a veteran and veterinarian, is that not all of the “Adopt a Shelter Animal” organizations that ask you to send in money to support animals brought in off the streets spend their donations honestly, something that is pretty bad in my book. I saw Harry Potter 7 Part 1 with my sister, cousin, and parents and it was very dark (as to be expected) and very good. 

No comments: