Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Before Beginnings and Endings

God, you were here before this,
before us, before me, before
light & dark, before they started
pavin' over parks, before the
larks and hummingbirds, before
time and other dirty words, before
sounds and drug dogs barkin loud
though tennements, before pictures,
before anything venemous,
before the first flex of technology
that led to jet engines, before games
& cowboys and indians, before enslavement
and brave men who overcame it and
put to shame the ones that made that
shit, before thugs, killers, & gangstas,
before slugs, brillo pads and bloody
coat hangers, before beginnings and
endings, torn clothes and mendings, &
before death, ascending & descending


thanks for reading.


The above was directly written as it appeared in my sketchbook, original line breaks formed from the size of the page. And here is a more literate version, punctuated as-close-to-the-way-I-would-speak-it-myself-as-I-can-get within the structure of the printed word, for those who suggested it.

God,

You were here before this,
before us,
before me,
before light & dark,
before they started pavin' over parks,
before the larks and hummingbirds,
before time and other dirty words,
before sounds and drug dogs barkin' loud through tenements,
before pictures,
before anything venomous,
before the first flex of technology that led to jet engines,
before games, & Cowboys and Indians,
before enslavement and brave men who overcame it
and put to shame the ones that made that shit,
before thugs, killers, & gangstas,
before slugs, brillo pads and bloody coat hangers,
before beginnings and endings,
torn clothes and mendings,
and before death, ascending and descending


Maybe that is clearer on the page. I still like the original version, because when I look at it, it's structure it has more of the-moment-I wrote-it-in in it for me, and I read that better.

love.

3 comments:

Briohny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Briohny said...

Q: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

A: God!

chrisromain said...

Ah! You are a zen master! O, Briohny, I cherish your comments on my blog! If you aren't careful, you might encourage me to write more!